Pages

Monday, August 23, 2021

First Chemo and Fourth Radiation Treatment

 


Well today was Rick’s FIRST CHEMO treatment. They have been doing radiation on him and there will be a total of ten of those treatments. Radiation (first round which is his leg thighs and arms) Will end on August 31st. They will sneak some more radiation in later on.  Radiation is a piece of cake!

We packed up this morning, to head to Chemo knowing that it was going to be an all day thing.  A soft cozy blanket, (A little to warm for that one yet), a card game, Lap-Top computer (Robert sent to his dad just for Chemo appts), Cell phone, neck Pillow, (very useful that one was) Jesus Calling booklet, (God knows I really NEED THIS ONE), Gingersnaps. I carried THREE BAGS in there! I know someone thought we were just moving in! HAHA….

For the Tea, I made ½ Ginger and ½ Chamomile Lavendar and put it in a thermos.  YUMMMMY I must say! I am a bit surprised that Rick even liked it too.

Come to find out they have a huge snack bar! The only thing missing is the booze. We don’t drink anyway, but as of late every once in awhile I would probably tip a tote or two! So that will cut down on what I lug into the chemo sessions by two bags! HAHA….

So we (he) gets settled in and Megan, our (his) wonderful Nurse, says Let me get you all hooked up and then I will go over the paperwork with you, as she sets this 2” packet of papers on the side table.

She explains that first there is the saline flush to make sure everything is hooked up well and it all flows easily. Then comes the ZOLOF I think. Then there is the Benadryl bag, an anti-nausea bag, and I am sure I am missing one in-between. Each of those bags are about 20 minutes. Then we get to the REAL DEAL!  Megan gowns up in hazmat gear, and I am thinking that Rick and I will need to also, but then she explains since she is the one that is hooking Rick up, that she needs to be protected in case she spills because the Chemo is bad to get on your skin.

Ummmmmm     ok……A.N.D.…You are going to INJECT THIS INTO A BODILY VEIN?!??!  But I kept my mouth shut! 

She then goes on to explain everything in this packet from side effects to non side effects. From effects after the first 48 hours to effects beyond the 48 hours. From Constipation to Diarrhea! From Headaches to stomach aches. What symptoms to watch out for and need to make a phone call to them, or not….when or if, you need to go to the ER.  All the while I am really feeling more sick to my stomach than I should be. 

I kept asking Rick how he is feeling and he said fine….When she hung the Benadryl bag she said he might feel a bit tingly and woozy, (cause we all know BENADRYL is a sleep aid!) LOL…

NOTHING! I take two Benadryl capsules at bedtime to sleep and he got a big bag of that shit, IN THE VEIN! But that is good. I think… LOL

Right now, he and Cameron are up at the shop playing with the trike. I know he is itching to ride, (me too) but until we find out how he is really going to do on the chemo, which we really don’t know for a couple days or even a week for that matter, then the trike is off limits to ride. 

It has been a very long day, and my nights are even longer because I do not sleep well. I have pinched nerves in my hips and my legs are on the verge of Charlie horses 24/7! Not to bad during day when I am moving around, but stop and rest for the night, and then they hit ya. So I do not get much sleep. I do go see a back/bone/spine (whacha ma-call-it-doc) doctor on 8/23. Of course it is the LAST DAY OF RICK’S Radiation so I won’t get to hear him ring the bell! !

Rick will have 6 chemo treatments 21 days apart which will last 4 months. I did ask his Chemo doc today about the type of cancer that Rick had and for how long did he think Rick had it. He said that Rick probably had the cancer in his prostate for about a year, but then when it metastasized to his bones it went apeshit! (he was a bit more professional and said moved quite rapidly). I asked him if it was an aggressive cancer and he said yes. But he also said that with the chemo therapies today, there are many types and they are approving like a 100 different kinds each month for the different types of cancers out there. There is hope that Rick can get a handle on this. Doc said that he will live with cancer the rest of his life, but he can have a good quality of life. So that eases the worry a little bit…… (JUST A LITTLE BIT)……. Will have to see what God has in store for us at this stage in our lives.

I found out that “Cancer” is a very lonely word! Lonely when you are first told you have it, and lonely because when people find out you have it, they are scarce! Cancer is a lonely path for those traveling it, and those that are care givers.  I took care of my mom when she had cancer and it was very hard. I am gaining more experience now, so maybe my path to follow in life when I retire is to be a friend to someone in need that is traveling this lonely path of "C.A.N.C.E.R."

After Megan hooked the chemo bag up, Rick told me to go grocery shopping. No sense in sitting there an watching the 1...2...3...1...2...3...4 drip drip drips of the IV bag.  So I went to Winco. I walked in with a mask on, (can’t breathe), and I saw a woman with no mask on. I asked her if masks were required. She said nope, and if they were she would have to hire out her shopping. She said God has a bigger plan, which I know he does. I don’t know what started it, probably me, I said that today was hubby first day of chemo.

I SPOKE THE WORDS OUT LOUD to another human! Reality just hit! The tears stung my eyes! I felt foolish! She asked what his name was and if she could pray for him. Between sobs I said that would be wonderful.

This woman was the most kindest and gentlest soul! She use to be a caregiver nurse till her last patient whom passed away in Feb of this year was gone.  She has grown very fond of him, just like a dad.  It hit her really really hard and she just can’t anymore. I get it. Hard not to get attached, ya know!  Sometimes our hearts break into to many small pieces that can not find their way back to be mended. Or it just takes a long time to mend. 

Anyway, we exchanged names and phone numbers. This woman was an angel in disguise.  She said to call her any time. She told me that If I needed someone to come sit with Rick, that she will be here in a heart beat! If I have any questions to give her a call, because she was a nurse to cancer patients! (What are the odds?)  Who knows, maybe I will take her up on that.  I just might need a shoulder some time. Someone to just listen.

When people step out of your life, there are others that step in to fill that void. Each and every friend in our life has something different to bring to the table of friendship.  Each one has value. 

The doctor could not stress enough that Rick’s immune system is going to be NIL! ZERO! LOW! To LOWEST! He just won’t have one! So he has to be very careful about being around anyone! That means Parker and Brady! And THAT JUST breaks our hearts! They start school next week and so that is why distance will need to be observed. Because we all know, school is where germs run rampant and come home on unsuspecting school children! So until Rick gets his immune system up and running again, we (HE) have to be very, very careful! 

First Isolate because of Covid,  Now Isolate because of cancer! DAMIT TO HELL!

I wouldn't turn down any prayers if you feel the need to ask God for some help to send our way! I pray every day to give me strength to get to the next day, and for Rick to get well enough to enjoy retirement and we can go on a long awaited bike (Trike) trip! Yep, we are planning one for the summer of 2023.......Just travel and go where the road takes us. Stay as long as we want to, wherever we want to. 

Oh yeah, we are also trying to sell the HARLEY (Click the Blue word HARLEY to go see the bike) that stands tall on two wheels. So if you are interested let us know. OR share it to someone you know.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/5017591098






1 comment:

Bobbi Stout said...

Sending prayers, God bless you both 🙏🏻